Wednesday, October 2, 2013

MVRDV VPRO Dismantle and Reassemble

"Mat-Building is characterized by active interstitial spaces, where matter shapes and channels the space between things, leaving room for the unanticipated."   -Stan Allen

Mat-buildings have embedded within them a logical grid organization. I have started by finding and exposing this grid within the VPRO villa. Once the grid is discovered the individual modules reveal themselves. Next I indexed the modules according to programmatic events that were evident and sparked my interest. This was phase I of this diagrammatic research

Phase II, I dismantled the plan at the thresholds of compartmentalized program, free-flow program, and vertical circulation. Within VPRO there is a clear hierarchy of these programs with the thesis of the project being driven by open areas. Within these areas a social ecosystem develops by which inhabitants employ a collective intelligence and appropriate the surfaces and modify them as they see fit. This is what makes this project a mat-building and by extension a living organism. 

So with the idea of the collective at the forefront, I applied my own model of the swarming analysis to the re-arranged plan in order to further active the interstitial spaces.




No comments:

Post a Comment